Sunday, February 6, 2011

Otto's Beer Cheese Soup

Well, today was the Super Bowl... so I needed a Souper Bowl Soup!  I was cheering for the Packers, but I took it facebook.... chili or beer cheese soup?  Well beer cheese won by 2 votes, so beer cheese it was to cheer on the Packers!

For the second week in a row I did not make the soup at home, well last week I didn't even make the soup (thanks mom!)... I was at my Aunt's house to celebrate her mom Jo's, 85th birthday!  Jo wanted a southern meal, and while the beer cheese soup didn't go perfectly with it, it did go with the Super Bowl!

When I was searching for a beer cheese soup, all roads lead to Portland's own Otto's Sausage Kitchen.  The recipe itself was very simple.  If you know me, then you know I don't like beer... so I substituted Woodchuck Hard Cider for beer. 

I am a little under the weather, I have had a head cold all week, so I couldn't really taste the soup all that well, but everyone at the party enjoyed it.  I had a little help in the kitchen from Auntie and Emod, thanks!

Recipe:

Otto's Beer Cheese Soup
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 chopped medium sized yellow onion
  • At least 1/2 cup chopped carrot
  • At least 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (12-ounce) beer of choice (recommended: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Blind Pig)
  • 7 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, shredded
  • 7 ounces processed Swiss cheese, shredded
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 pound smoked sausage (recommended: Otto's Smoked Polish Ring)
Melt butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, carrot, and celery. Saute until softened. Add flour. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add chicken broth and beer. Heat until it comes to a boil. Slowly add cheese while stirring until just boiling and smooth. Add half-and-half, salt, dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and cook until soup has thickened. Cut smoked sausage into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a saucepan. Saute sausage over medium heat until heated through. It will probably take about 5 to 7 minutes. Add sausage to the soup, transfer to a large serving bowl and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment