Sunday, February 13, 2011

Creamy Corn Soup with Red Bell Pepper

Tonight was a night for organizing.  I have piles everywhere, so I decided I would make soup, get organized and watch the Grammy Awards... good decision.  After three file boxes and two bags of recycling I'm done!

Also, can I just say I love the Grammy Awards.  There is something about music that is so refreshing and inspiring.  Everyone on the show is following their heart and dream.  Music is all around us, in Portland you don't have to go far to find good music... Esperanza Spalding won Best New Artist award!

My favorite performance of the night Mumford & Sons, Avett Brothers and Bob Dylan:




For the soup... I went with a super easy corn soup, and by super easy, I mean most of the ingredients are from a can.  Instead of water I used chicken stock.  Also, I used diced jalapenos instead of the chipotle peppers, I don't care for the chipotle pepper taste.  I used the entire 4oz. can of jalapenos which was too much and too hot, next time I will use half the can.  Overall, good flavor and I would make this soup again.


Recipe:
  • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
  • 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
  • 2 cups (or more) water
  • 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chilies*
  • 2 14 3/4-ounce cans cream-style corn
  • 1 16-ounce package frozen corn
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices to pot; cook 2 minutes. Combine 2 cups water and chipotle chilies in blender and puree. Mix puree and cream-style corn into vegetables in pot. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add frozen corn, cream and oregano; simmer 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
*Chipotle chilies canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are available at Latin American markets, specialty foods stores and some supermarkets.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, sounds good Jen! My favorite performance was also Mumford & Sons, Avett Brothers, and Bob Dylan. The bands sounded great, and I loved how happy everyone looked backing up Dylan :)

    ReplyDelete