Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chicken Curry Soup with Coconut and Lime

Tonight I had my good friend Katy over for soup.  When Katy said she wanted to come for soup I knew just what I was going to make... curry.  Last time I had Katy over for dinner I attempted to make a chicken curry with rice, somehow I burned the rice.  Yes, it is possible to burn rice.  It also happened to be the end of the rice, so we ended up having curry over noodles and by noodles I mean spaghetti.  Did I redeem myself this evening, I would say so.



We shared in great conversation, chicken curry soup and Portlandia.  Portlandia you say?  We were going to relive our childhoods and watch a favorite, Newsies, but somehow go sucked into Portlandia.  The show has become quite popular around town, not sure if it is gaining popularity anywhere else.  It is available OnDemand so we watched all five episodes.  While the first two are entertaining, the show becomes progressively off the wall.  If you haven't seen the show here is a clip from the first episode, Dream of the 90's.




The recipe I used tonight is from epicurious.com, it seemed to have good reviews and was super simple.  I did a quick curry rub on the chicken and cooked it on the stove.  I used 1.5 cans of lite coconut milk and tripled the curry to 1.5 Tablespoons.  I would recommend cooking the chicken before adding it to the soup.  I served the soup over brown bazmani rice, which I think was a little nutty for the curry.  I would make this soup again and add move vegetable like red peppers or eggplant.


Recipe:
  • 1 14 1/2-ounce can low-salt chicken broth
  • 1 13 1/2- to 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1 jalapeño chili, seeded, minced
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

  • 1/4 cup chopped green onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 cup freshly cooked white rice
  • Lime wedges
Bring chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder and chili to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken and simmer until chicken is just cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Mix in lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.  Transfer soup to bowl. Sprinkle green onion and cilantro over. Spoon rice into each bowl. Ladle soup over. Serve, passing lime wedges separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment