Sunday, January 30, 2011

West African Chicken Peanut Soup

This is it, my first blog post in my year long experiment on soup and friends. 

I was going to begin this experiment with my friend Maria... but she mistakenly committed when she had a 6pm flight out this evening (she thought it was at 6am tomorrow morning).  That's okay Maria, there is a whole year to go and we will have plenty more opportunities!

So, instead of me making soup, my mom invited me over for soup and the SAG awards.  She made a recipe from McMenamins, a local brewery here in Portland.  McMenamins is known for their beer, cajun tots (my favorite) and poor service.  One day we tried this West African Chicken Peanut Soup and we've been hooked ever since.  Nanny was able to track down the recipe on tastebook.com.  It was tasty... a little spicy, we also added raisins which provided a nice sweet contrast to the spiciness.  I might recommend more peanut butter as well.


Recipe:

West African Chicken Peanut Soup

  • In a large pot saute the chicken, onion and garlic in the sesame oil for about 10 minutes, until the onion is tender. Add the curry powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and saute 1 minute more.
  • Add the chicken broth, tomato paste, stewed tomatoes and peanut butter, stirring until well combined. Heat until very hot, but not boiling. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. I am hooked on this recipe too! I agree also on adding more Peanut butter. If you have any other great soup recipes please let me know. tonga1232015@outlook.com Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hooked on this recipe too! I agree also on adding more Peanut butter. If you have any other great soup recipes please let me know. tonga1232015@outlook.com Thanks

    ReplyDelete